MW Early Years endeavours to answer any question that you send our way.

Here are a few frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer to your question below, please do not hesitate to in get in touch. We can provide a response that’s specific to your workplace or setting.


Q – Will I get a certificate when I complete any of the e-Learning courses?

A – Every candidate who successfully completes any of our e-Learning courses will gain a certificate.

Q - How long do I have to wait for my certificate?

A – Once you have successfully completed your online course you will be able to download your certificate immediately.

Q – Who should do the IOSH Managing Safely course?

A – Anyone in a management or supervisory role.

Q – Will I get a copy of the Childcare based H&S audit?

A – You will be provided with a full typed copy of the audit and an action plan for any corrective measures required.

Q – Can I buy individual policies, or do I have to buy the full manual?

A – You can buy policies individually. Get in touch to let us know your requirements.

Q – Can you write me a bespoke safeguarding course that will include my company’s policies and procedures?

A – Yes absolutely, get in touch for a bespoke quote.


Q - How many First Aiders are required on site?

A – The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 require you to provide adequate and appropriate first-aid equipment, facilities and people so your employees can be given immediate help if they are injured or taken ill at work. What is ‘adequate and appropriate’ will depend on the circumstances of your workplace and what your first-aid needs are. It’s advised that each individual company/business do a risk assessment to determine their specific needs.

Q - How many First Aid boxes are required in each setting/work place?

A – There is no legal requirement for a specific number of First Aid boxes. MWC Nursery Support Services can do an assessment of your workplace and advise on this.

Q - Where should a First Aid box be kept & should there be a sign?

A – It should be kept in an obvious place and/or where it’s most likely to be needed. For example – communal areas, children’s rooms (nursery), kitchens, highly trafficked rooms. There should be a sign in a clear visible location.

Q - How often should we carry out an evacuation drill?

A – You need to carry out an evacuation drill once a year – Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.  However, we would advise you to do this 2-3 times a year to make sure each drill is on a different day of the week and at a different time of the day.

Q - What is the maximum indoor working temperature?

A – There is no maximum indoor working temperature. However, the minimum is 16⁰C.  The legal minimum in an active environment is 13⁰C.

Q - What should you record as an accident?

A – Any incident or action that has resulted in an injury.

Q - What should be included in your daily building opening checks?

A –

  • General building security & safety. Check the perimeter of the property i.e. fencing walls etc, check the building for broken windows, fallen roof tiles, vandalism.
  • Check that all exits and entrances are clear & not blocked.
  • Unlock all fire exits
  • That all play equipment is safe & not broken.
  • All lighting is working properly.
  • Check the garden for needles or other unwanted detritus, animals, animal faeces, dangerous plants or fungi
  • Car parks are clear, no unauthorized vehicles, lighting all in good order.
Q - How often should lifts & lifting equipment be inspected?

A – LOLER regulation (Lifting operations lifting equipment) 1998 states, that any equipment involved in lifting people should be inspected every six months. Lifting equipment, used for the purposes of transportation or lifting loads, is required to be inspected every 12 months.

Q - Is PAT testing a legal requirement?

A – All electrical appliances must be maintained & subject to annual inspections. This is not a requirement. However, it is good practice to check for faults or damage. Testing such as PAT (Portable appliance testing) does not need to be carried out on all new equipment that is still under warranty.

Q - How often should a Fire Risk Assessment be carried out or reviewed.

A – To comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, it is necessary to complete Fire Risk Assessment for each premise’s. Your Fire Risk Assessment is a fluid document and should be reviewed on a regular basis at least annually, or if there any changes that take place within the premise to the fabric of the building, change of use, number of persons etc.

Does this answer your question?
If not, please get in touch so we can help.

01525 305780


MW Early Years

Nursery Health & Safety Training + Children’s Nursery Health & Safety +
Nursery Training + Childcare Health & Safety + Nursery Health & Safety Audits